INTO THE ABYSS v1.1 INTO THE ABYSS v1.1

A great platformer with a great art style and original concepts.
The art style is limited in palette, and is a wonderful reminder that a simple palette isn't a bad thing, and can function visually quite well! Everything stood out in a very stylistic way that I could appreciate- and the complexity of the things like the goddess were just beautiful!
The core concepts within the game, however, are in desperate need of polishing. Moving crates appears to have a lot of built-in friction, which strongly contrasts the clean animations of everything else, such as how free-form the character falls into pieces upon dying (loved that, by the way). Jumping appears to feel a little inaccurate, or maybe I'm just being too critical of this linear platformer. A good improvement on jumping would be similar to how the original Mega-Man games manage changing velocity, or even the new Mario games.
I mention this because you distinctly say this is a 1.2 version- meaning you're still working on it, which is great! I think with these improvements you can have a really great game on your hands!
Awesome job! Looking forward to seeing what else you add to this :)

gamesbynoe responds:

Thank you for your review!

Max & Mink Max & Mink

I love how this game is puzzle and art-centric. It really does look beautiful, with a twinge of uncomfortable fantasy in regards to Mink. I feel like this adds to the game, however, as the forest is supposed to be dying and we're trying to save the king. It isn't a happy kingdom, and there are uncomfortable creatures like Mink within the fantasy realm. That being said, I don't feel the sound design was very accurate. Not many actions have a sound affect attached, and the sound for the game is a big consideration and should have more value put into it.
Take the level-select, for example. There is no audio for selecting a level, which just adds the slightest bit of immersion. While I think the song you chose is fine, it's a little repetitive in this context. If you changed this and updated it, however, it really would be a perfect game! You have a great concept on your hands, make it the best it can be! Again, it's very beautiful and the puzzles are fun to solve.
Awesome job!

Zak Zak

You have a wonderful game with slick controls. Everything is clean and laid out cinematically (the title cards, dynamic lighting, etc.), despite its historically "simple" art style. The art style evolves on the fact that it is a platformer, but introducing new concepts that aren't meant to distract the player with fancy graphics. It can be appreciated and played with this style.
That being said, it still has complicated aspects that take away from the game, and it can really be improved if you simplified it. There doesn't need to be so many ways to control the game, and that complexity takes away from the audience's immersion. While they could be playing with the controls you've laid out, with multiple options they begin considering what would be the most comfortable for them instead of appreciating the game. You do this also on the title screen, with the option to play the game without the music. The music is great! It should be the player's choice to seek out how to mute it, since it's an optional removal from immersion. Presenting it on the title screen, however, appears as a display of low-confidence within the music, despite only having great intentions.
You have a fantastic, fun game that looks great! I'm going to play it later and show it to other people, though I believe with my criticism you can only improve it and not hurt it. Hopefully this project evolves into something better, as I'm excited to see more from you!

Super Flipside Super Flipside

Very fun and quick game. I think you should change the IJKL keybinds to the arrowkeys, however. People are more familiar with those keys and it would take away from the frustrating difficulty of using a completely new set of keys. Great art style! Everything looks simply pixelated and flat, but the style has much more depth through use of the gradients and textures. The clean, high-fps animations also do it justice, as it's a new modern form of game.
All of that being said, it's not perfect. It's a great iteration of the older concept of using two-hands, but for those who have just attempted, it's frustrating. This is capable of being great, though! You have a great idea on your hands, and if you improved it- this can be a great single player AND co-op game like the flash bmtron game!
Good job!

brianok responds:

Thanks so much for the kind words! I've actually already snuck in arrow key controls for the right ship for the exact reason you mentioned. Let me know what you think of it, I've been going back and forth on this for a while now ;)

Dungeon Team BETA Dungeon Team BETA

Fantastic evolution of the turn-based concept. I can immediately see and analyze the art style and the type of game:
-It allows personal customization, a fun pro
-it has a multiplayer lobby, a great addition and resource for players who want to talk about it
-The art style is simple at a glance, but is complex and has its own sense of style that is based off modern minimalism and the "quick" hand-drawn-style.
-There is a sense of complexity to it, which can be changed in the future. This complexity may be discouraging for other players, and adding a way to describe what the buttons do (simply) would be a great way to lift that stress for the audience.
While I haven't "finished" it yet, I immediately love it. Definitely going to share this with friends. Consider submitting this concept to Steam or another distributor source when you've fully polished it! I'll definitely be putting a lot of my own time into it, and I feel this idea is a great return into how great games were in a previous era.
Great job!

Salamis Salamis

Wonderfully quick concept that makes learning and playing the game fun. It really is a "plug and play" game with original ideas that makes it fun. Looking forward to playing this fully again in the future, along with sharing it with peers. The score addition also brings forth a playful competitive aspect. No one aims to be the best and no one works endlessly for this, but being the best is a fun goal, and a fun achievement.
Great job, hopefully this takes you somewhere!

Rex: Origins Rex: Origins

Wonderfully simple. Quickly addictive to play- and the fact that you made this in 42 hours is borderline unbelievable. I would have liked a less-intrusive song, which would let me keep playing, but the song completely blends with the non-serious style of the game. It's a "quick" game with a great concept, not a feature-film movie.
That being said, I still appreciate this like a movie. I'll be showing this to my friends because of how quick and fun it is.
Awesome job!

Kwing responds:

To be fair, the ball engine was made beforehand, although that in and of itself only took me about 2 days. I took the liberty of using old code because it's not uncommon for Game Jam games to utilize old engines, and unlike most this was an engine I had written myself (unlike the infamous rigid bodies of Unity.) As it is, making the arm work correctly was the biggest technical difficulty for this game.

I thought about doing something more generic for a soundtrack, but part of me rapping was wanting to surprise people with a talent that other people at that jam didn't know I had. Aesthetics are so frequently ignored or simply taken from taken from royalty-free sources in this types of projects and I wanted to do something that was not only completely from scratch, but obviously so. Frame by frame animation and a vocal-only soundtrack was how I gave the game an organic, homemade feel.

Glad you liked the game and thanks for the feedback!

Deal With the Devil Deal With the Devil

Great game capable of immersion of exactly what it wants to do. It's not supposed to be a fun, fair game. It's supposed to be a "Deal With the Devil". He's going to change it up, and the player has to look for hints to get it. It succeeds in everything it tries to do- though it didn't keep me. After losing twice, I grew frustrated, though still appreciated and accepted its value. I would have liked more encouragement to finish the game in the form of tips and help, because even the title cards are motivation to keep trying. The text is complete immersion into trying to get the audience to overcome the "devilish" addiction of winning a game.
You did great, but I would have liked more help to finish it. I noticed the hints with the subtle "bugs" of the game, but thinking unexpectedly was a great, but tiring concept to me. Is there any way you could send me a video of someone playing it perfectly? I would really love to see where you take the story.

8bit Love Story 8bit Love Story

Simply fantastic.
To start off, I'm going to address what you said in your description about it being 8-bit. It is 8-bit, and the people who are arguing against it are holding onto their nostalgia. This is a new concept which borrowed points from the 8-bit era, and you're completely right to do it.
This "game"- it actually isn't a game, it's a completely new genre- which is why it's categorized as "Skill-Other". It's a story first, with game elements added to it. The player is supposed to feel emotionally attached to the character they play, despite it not being necessary at all to do well. The game will play itself, but the player does it anyway to interact with the story. The byproduct of this is a greater personal investment into the story. It's a basic story from a broad point of view, but everything within it is a completely original iteration of this. Everything from the main character being a "superhero" overcoming these great obstacles in the name of love, to the fantasy concepts of beating a real demon really personify the narrative of looking and finding love. Love is supposed to be something people would risk-it-all for, and you perfectly present that in a way the audience/player will feel.
It's a completely new experience that is worthy of acclaim. Hopefully others understand it in the way you intended- "8bit Love Story" is nothing short of brilliant.

Agree to Agree Agree to Agree

Awesome immersion in "Agree to Agree".
I immediately understood how to play from the "Knock Knock Knock" in the very beginning, and after reading the description I really understood your motivation to make it. It's a great take on the idea that people don't listen to each other.
Its simulated stress is comparable to that of resseti, from Animal Crossing. He would only appear when the player did something "wrong" which was turning the game off before saving. The game used how personally annoying and lecturing his character was to drive the point home. This game is a great evolution of that concept.
Awesome job. You really drove the point home in a interactive, creative way.